Kenneth Muguna

Kenyan international winger Clifton Miheso opened his goal account at Gor Mahia with a rasping free kick as the defending champions recaptured top spot of Kenyan Premier League with a well deserved 2-0 victory over Nzoia Sugar on Wednesday evening.

Miheso’s goal sixteen minutes into the game doubled K’Ogalo’s advantage at Mumias Complex after skipper Kenneth Muguna had forced Randy Bakari to poked home in his own net from six yards in the 10th minute.

Industrious Ghanaian forward Francis Afriyie had been brought down just outside the box and the former Buildcon man standing over the ball let fly with rains pounding heavily to give his side a comfortable buffer.

Gor Mahia had traveled to the venue wary of the hosts who inflicted their last league defeat in May but it turned out to an easy sail. Coach Steven Polack made three changes to the squad that lost 2-0 at home to USM Alger last Sunday, bring on Afriyie and Miheso upfront while David Robert Mapigano reclaimed his spot between the sticks.

Polack reaped near instant dividends when his charges put the game to be in the opening 16 minutes. Afriyie was heavily involved in the opening goal as he squared the ball for Muguna who was well placed to score. The ensuing scramble for the ball resulted in the opening goal but credit to Boniface Omondi who had done the donkeywork on the flank.

K’Ogalo dominated the game whose concentration was in the Nzoia half but they failed to stretch the score line as the hosts limped to halftime fortunate to be just two goals down. Nzoia played better in the second half breaching the K’Ogalo defense severally without hurting the champions.

They squandered their best chance to reduce the deficit in the 55th minute, failing to score from the spot. Maurice Ojwang, the new Gor Mahia center half signed from Western Stima, handled Leonard Kasembeli’s cross in the box as the hosts sought a way back into the game.

Collins Wakhungu stepped up to take the penalty but only rattled the cross bar with Mapigano diving the right way. Nzoia’s attacking zeal dissipated with the missed penalty and it was Gor Mahia all over again.

Afriyie scored what ought to have been a third goal but saw his headed effort ruled out for offside. Humphrey Katasi, the Nzoia Sugar goalkeeper made half adozen more decent saves to deny K’Ogalo and spare his club a routing. Bernard Ondiek, Nicholas Kipkirui and Dickson Ambundo joined the fray in the second half but failed to increase Gor Mahia’s goal tally.

The victory hoists K’Ogalo to nine points on the table with one game at hand against Chemelil Sugar.