Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood faces bail hearing next week over rape and sex assault allegations.

The 20-year-old English international was arrested on suspicion of rape, sexual assault and threats to kill ex-girlfriend in January this year.

Greenwood will have a behind-closed-doors bail hearing next week.

The striker was first arrested on January 30 on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman. He was then further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.

An investigation into the allegations remains on the run and Greater Manchester Police have applied to the Courts to extend his bail. Greater Manchester Police {GMP} on Friday confirmed to the MEN a hearing – which will not be open to the press or public – will take place next week.

Greenwood, Manchester United academy product, who remains suspended by the club, was originally due to answer bail, where he is required to turn up a police station, on April 30 but a day before GMP confirmed an application will be made to the courts to extend it.

Greater Manchester Police statement on April 29 said: “We are continuing to investigate a report made to us on Sunday 30 January of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence. A 20-year-old man arrested that day on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman, and threats to kill remains on bail.

“An application has been made to the courts to have his bail extended beyond Saturday 30 April, but the hearing isn’t expected to be until mid-June. The suspect will remain on conditional bail until the date of the court hearing.”

The law limits the length of time police are allowed to extend bail after which they must seek approval from a court for an extension. Such hearings are always in private and suspects are not required to attend them.

Bradford-born Greenwood, who went to school in Sale, has been suspended by Manchester United until further notice. He has not played for the club since the Premier League fixture against West Ham United on 22 January.

After initially suspending their relationship with the teenage forward, Nike has also confirmed that their partnership with him has ended. Meanwhile GMP has confirmed Greenwood’s accuser has been offered ‘specialist support’.